Created by the IWBC Board of Directors, the Ginger Turner Ensemble Competition premiered at the 2017 IWBC Conference at Rowan University in Glassboro, New Jersey. The current requirements of the competition include the following:
- Open to all ages
- Only like instrument ensembles may participate
- Ensembles should have three or more members
- Selected ensembles will perform a prelude to a concert, master class or recital
- Selected ensembles from the preliminary round will advance and compete for a grand prize.
- All competition participants will receive a reduction in conference fees.
Competition winners will receive prize money which is fundraised in conjunction with the Holiday Brass Concerts that occur annually in St. Louis, MO and Baltimore, MD.